Computer-numerical control (CNC) machining is vital in the manufacturing industry. CNC Equipment like mills, lathes, and routers are used during the process of CNC Machining. These methods of manufacturing have played a big role in improving production capacity as well as the ability to produce precision parts. CNC Programming and Machining is a complex process that requires engineers and machinists to design, program, and machine parts.
Rutherford Manufacturing Group provides clients with quality services and quick turnaround times with a focus on local first.
What is CNC Machining?
CNC Machining is an evolution from the numerical control (NC) machining process, which utilized punched tape cards. It even dates back to AD 1450-1500 as Leonardo da Vinci discovered the genesis of binary code (OFF=0, ON=1). CNC Machining uses computerized controls to operate and manipulate machine and cutting tools to shape stock material such as metals, plastics, woods, etc. While different CNC Machining processes offer varied capabilities and operations, the processes remain primarily the same as broken down into four steps.
- Designing the CAD model
- Converting the CAD file to a CNC Program
- Preparing the CNC Machine
- Executing the Machining Operation
CNC is a method of manufacturing utilized across various industries including automotive, aerospace, agriculture, computer, construction, pharmaceutical, food, specialized technology and so much more. Products from vehicle frames to surgical equipment, airplane engines, and garden tools are all manufactured via CNC Machining.
Some of the most common Mechanical CNC Machining Operations include milling, turning, drilling, and tapping (threads).
- Drilling is a process that utilizes multi-point drill bits to produce cylindrical holes in the material.
- Tapping is a process that utilizes a threaded bit to produce threads in the material, which allow bolts and nuts to be used.
- Milling is a process that utilizes multi-point cutting tools to remove material.
- Turning is a process that utilizes a single-point cutting tool to remove material from a rotating workpiece.
As you can see, CNC Machining offers a wide range of operations. Depending on the operations being performed, engineers leverage different types of CNC Machining Support and Software. The variety in software include:
- CAD (Computer-aided design software) is used to design a digital rendering of 2D and 3D parts.
- CAM (Computer-aided manufacturing software) is used to extract the technical info from the CAD model and generate a program the machine can read in order to manipulate the machine and tooling used to create the part.
- CAE (Computer-aided engineering software) is used as assistive support tools in engineering analysis applications like design, simulation, planning, manufacturing, diagnosis, and repair to help with evaluating and modifying product design.
Overall, CNC Machining is an effective method of manufacturing for many products and scenarios.
Rutherford Manufacturing Group offers a wide variety of custom, close tolerance precision machine services via CNC Milling. Additionally, we offer drawing and modeling services. Our team has manufactured custom machined parts for many different industries including, but not limited to automotive, agriculture, aerospace, aviation, pharmaceutical, food, industrial, and so much more.
Our shop is focused on small parts, short and long runs (just a few parts or thousands of parts), and tight tolerance high volume parts (holding tolerances +/- .0002”. “Did you know that a human strand of hair has a diameter of .0006”. “The average diameter of an Atom is .00001”).
Ready for your next project?